32-Muscle imbalances in yoga

I think that I have mentioned previously that I have been practicing yoga for about 4years now. I just began committing myself to the practice and way of life whole heartedly within the past year or so. Since making this commitment to the practice of Yoga I have also noticed that my commitments to other things surrounding my life have come to the forefront of my mind and consciousness. I find myself paying more attention to how my body feels on a day to day basis and honoring it not only during practice but off the mat as well. In doing so I have found that certain muscle imbalances have arisen in my right low back. I would estimate that this has been irritating me and my husband for about 6-9 months now! And I think that might be an under estimated guess at the time frame?

Most people ask how can that happen in yoga? Aren't you supposed to be all limber, dancer like and without pain? Without pain is ideal but I believe that as you begin to move through the asanas you began accessing areas in your body that have never been accessed before? Sometimes bringing about tension and pain. Other times these areas awaken without a problem and you continue going about your day to day life with no issues (lucky's).

I finally scheduled an MRI yesterday to hopefully find out what has been going on? I am really really hoping with fingers crossed that it is a muscle imbalance related to a tight psoas and hamstring muscles on my right side that has been causing the ongoing pain. I have been putting off this MRI for a while now because I was trying to figure it out on my own. But I was allowing my ego to get the best of me and I kept telling myself that I was a young 28 year old and it wasn't anything serious. But I would rather be safe than sorry and get the MRI done sooner than later. So that is what I did yesterday:) Results are pending.....

Like anything else in life I find myself having good days and bad days with my body, mind and spirit on the mat. But 95% of those days end up becoming good days after a few sun salutations and finding the rhythm in my breath. I find that my body is constantly rejuvenating itself within my practice. Sometimes my body decides that today is the day to release toxins that my body has been hoarding for whatever reason? Other days it is time to find muscles that have never been awakened prior to that days practice and the list goes on and on...Everyday on the mat brings something new to my life whether I have chosen in the past to realize it or not?

Utthita Trikonasana/Extended Triangle Pose





Parivrtta Trikonasana/Revolved Triangle Pose

No comments:

Post a Comment