33-Violence vs Non-Violence within the body

After practice tonight I began to think about what to blog about? Since my back aches are still in the forefront of my mind I decided to pick up The Tree of Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar. As I opened the book nonchalantly and looked at what page and chapter I had randomly come across I noticed it was exactly what I had in mind when I grabbed the book! Iyengar's chapter on Effort, Awareness and Joy! Sweet. What a coincidence:)

Iyengar in his book on page 44 (another well known form of yoga focusing on alignment) speaks of violence that sometimes occurs on one side of the body more so than the other. He attributes this to overworking the cells, muscles and fibers. I have found that in the Ashtanga tradition this is more prominent due to always beginning asanas and salutations with the right side of the body, never the left.

Matthew Sweeney, who I have spoke of before even states in his Chandra Krama "Moon Sequence" that beginning or stepping forward in asanas and salutations with left side of the body first activates the feminine qualities in each of us: the right side represents the masculine and analytical aspect of the body. Hmmmmmmm? I think he is on to something here......He also believes and it has been proven that his "Moon Sequence" can assist with undoing and right-sided aggravation that can occur through the repetition of the traditional Ashtanga practice.

So if your finding yourself having muscle imbalances as you continue to practice, ask yourself.

Why am I getting pain at this moment?
Why do I not get the pain at another moment or with another movement?
What have I to do with this part of my body?
What do I have to do with that part?
How can I get rid of the pain?
Why am I feeling this pressure?
Why is this side painful?
How are the muscles behaving on this side and how are they behaving on the other side?

Per Iyengar's instructions you should continue analyzing, and by analysis you will come to understand. Analysis in action is required in yoga. It is true that in analysis you dissipate energy at first. With time the energy becomes less.

Direction will come, and when you go in the right direction, wisdom begins. When wise action comes, you no longer feel the effort as effort- you feel the effort as joy.- Iyengar

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment