These Friday work days always seem to beat me down:( I don't know why I allow them to do so? I came home with an aching back and a slight headache and not in the mood to step on my mat this evening. With my commitment to yoga in the back of my head and knowing I would feel better after a few poses I decided to dig out Matthew Sweeney's book I had purchased back in July of 09' during one of his workshops in Encinitas. It is called Vinyasa Krama, Five Unique Sequences. Thanks goodness I did.
With my loving husband offering to cook a dinner of Vegetarian Penne Vodka I jumped on my mat with scrumptious smells floating in the air. I was already feeling better knowing dinner was taken care of. (thx scott)
I chose to do a few poses from Matthew Sweeney's Chandra Krama sequence http://www.yogatemple.com/ It is a practice that is intended for full moon, new moon days and at those times when you are feeling more tired than usual. It is also possible to practice this sequence around many injuries. It doesn't include any jumping or intense poses, but it has just enough spunk to it that it keeps you present and flowing with your breath. This Moon Sequence was designed and written by Matthew a long time (some 18-24+yrs) ashtanga practitioner that had practiced side by side with Guruji for many years back in the 90's. He is a teacher based out of Byron Bay Australia that tours yearly teaching his complimentary Astanga series. I feel so fortunate to have been able to take a 2 day workshop with Matthew. His demeanor as a teacher of yoga is both compassionate and knowledgeable. These qualities are portrayed beautifully in his sequences reminding us to bring our practice to new heights and awareness to each and every moment.
Half way through the two hour sequence I called it quits feeling lighter and rejuvenated. My low back was not yelling at me anymore and my mind was in a healthier realm.
Let's eat.
Namaste
P.S. I highly recommend listening to the interview with Yoga Peeps that Matthew did back in 07'. It really shed some light on becoming a yoga teacher and the practice in general from his perspective.
http://yogapeeps.com/main/2007/episode-41-matthew-sweeney-australia-2/271
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment