For the next few days my blogs are going to focus on Savasana Pose. It is such an essential yet beneficial part to the yoga practice that I think just one blog post won't do it justice. So bear with me as we learn about this often overlooked posture.
The practice of Savasana "Corpse Pose" is the one pose that must be savored at the end of each practice session. The main aim behind this asana is to provide relaxation to the body after a yoga session helping to cool down the body and mind. Various teachers, students, my own opinion and readings I have come across will all be game over the next few days as we learn some more about Savasana (such a beautiful Sanskrit word)
It is a practice for peace that should last about 10 minutes to reap the full benefits. Sometimes overlooked, often underestimated, the practice of savasana integrates asana into all layers of consciousness. But its more subtle and profound payoff is the experience of relaxation in everything we do. When the mind is constantly working, there’s no awareness of one’s creativity, potential or joy.
The Bhagavad Gita states that the “highest happiness comes upon the yogi whose mind is calmed.” Swami Rama said, “A quiet mind is the foundation for cultivating a joyful mind; happiness is always preceded by peace.” Translation: an uptight yogi is an unhappy yogi.
Therefore, it’s important to remember that when we lie in savasana, we are exercising the essential component of our inner peace practice.
Seasoned yogis know that savasana is not as easy as it looks. To invigorate and refresh both mind and body through conscious relaxation requires patience, mindfulness and alertness. Therefore, this seemingly easy posture is one of the most difficult to master, yet one of the best for preparing for meditation.
Many practitioners, including myself on more occasions than not find myself dreaming, thoughts of dinner pop into my mind, future vacations, to-do lists, etc. Call it spiritual ignorance, but for a long time I felt savasana was an extraneous and difficult part of yoga class.
I have found that it is a chance to be still and focus our energy inward.
Unsure of whether we are awake or asleep, we can feel our heart beat. We can watch the mind race and we can choose to let these things go (even if it is only for a brief moment)and settle deeper and deeper in the essence of who we are.
Namaste, Julie P
(that was a long winded blog)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

There are still times in my practice that I'm fearful that I may fall asleep in savasana. I might turn into a snoring yogi -- my worst nightmare.
ReplyDeleteI totally have fallen asleep in savasana!! Oops. Were human. It wasn't on purpose by any means, but I just assumed back in the day that that was what you were supposed to do? Live and learn right? Hehe:)
ReplyDelete